Sunday, October 18, 2009

Missing all things fall

Sooooo... I'm currently freezing in my apartment about to go to bed and I can't help but think of the things I miss from home... like the wood fire that heats my parents house--ha ha! I was just informed by my roommate that the heat doesn't come on in Spain til about November.... really could go for some warmth right now!! And although it sounds strange, because I am complaining about being cold and I heard it was SNOWING last week in western New York--- I really do wish I could be back in NY for just a little bit... I'm really missing all things fall!! I thought this would be a good opportunity for me to give some good "care package" ideas for those of you who told me you were interested in sending some good old American things my way :) :) :) See my address to the left (Hint, hint-- ha ha!)

Things I miss about fall...
  • Flavored coffee seems to be non-existent here, so if anyone happens to find pumpkin, vanilla, or caramel coffee (with the beans already ground) it would be the highlight of my day to get some!!!
  • Spain also hasn't discovered candy corn (a favorite Halloween treat of mine!) Boy are they missing out!
  • Can you believe it, they don't have chocolate chip cookies here!!! A bag of chocolate chips would be amazing so that I could try and make some myself to share with friends!
  • I am a lover of Craisins (dried cranberries)-- yet another thing Spaniards are missing out on. For now, I am lucky because my mom sent me some last week :) but they are running short! I have been sharing them with my Spanish friends and they LOVE THEM! It's hilarious because all of them have been like "oh-- they're raisins!" and I say "No, they're not... try them!" and they always react saying "Wow-- you're right, they are different! And they are gooooood!" ha ha!
  • Gosh I really miss pancakes and their inseparable partner maple syrup. Also, I had brought little maple sugar candies with me to give as gifts and I have run out-- so far it looks as though everyone I have given them to has enjoyed them, so it would be nice to have more to give as gifts if possible :)
  • Finally, I am also a big tea drinker once it starts to get cold and unfortunately here, I have yet to find a large variety of tea... my favorite tea flavors are vanilla, caramel, and also anything with berries! :)
Soooooo... again, if you ever get bored and you are looking for something to do.... you can always send a small package to me with a goodie inside!! I promise I won't mind ;) ha ha!




3 comments:

  1. Hahaha, you're really cute in this post, Cori! I completely understand you're missing such things. Oh, it reminds me of the time I was in Japan. I was also missing a lot of things, food mostly (artichokes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, real bread, good coffee...).
    Anyway, I just want to help you a little. I'm sorry we don't have pumpkin or anything flavored coffee in Spain, but we do have maple syrup, craisins and a lot of teas! They sell maple syrup in Carrefour (in the big one at the outskirts). I have seen craisins -I absolutetly love them- at an organic products shop near the Carrefour of Calle Toro (however, they are really expensive, so it's worth getting them sent), and also near that same Carrefour, almost in front of it, there is a small but nice tea shop with a great variety of teas, both normal, flavored, decaffeinated or herbal teas. I always buy my tea there.

    Still, I'm surprised about chocolate chip cookies. Well, they have just start selling some at Caballerizas, where the muffins-magdalenas are, aren't they? And there are similar things in any supermarket. Are they different to the ones you're looking for?

    See you in class! (I'm Leyre, by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cori I love this post--so colorful and SO TRUE!! I was out of the US for 2 separate Thanksgivings so I can definitely relate. And in Costa Rica my sophomore year, I DID cook the whole turkey! It was quite stressful but still worth it, as I had a huge celebration with a bunch of family/friends! (we did Thanksgiving on Halloween though, because that's when I was feeling homesick and when in Costa Rica, you can have Thanksgiving whenever the heck you want!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. this was also a reference to your later post about Thanksgiving :o)

    ReplyDelete