Wednesday, June 9, 2010

OFFICIALLY DONE WITH MY MASTER'S!!!

Printing off 5 copies of my
Final Master's Project: €36,52
Making 1 copy on CD: €1,00

Seeing the smile on my face just before handing it in.... PRICELESS!!!
YES!!! It's true!!! After 10 months of rigorous study at the University of Salamanca in the Master's Program "Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language", I have officially handed in my last project! It is almost hard to believe because the time seems to have just flown by this year. Back at the beginning of the year, I remember doubting if I was even going to be able to pull it all off-- with all of the classes being in Spanish and all of the papers having to be written in Spanish, I was very unsure...

Thankfully, I have proven myself wrong and I have even done WELL in my courses! Although it's not the 3.99 GPA that I am used to from my undergraduate studies at Nazareth College, all of my grades were from 8.0 to 9.5 (Spain Universities do not follow the 4.0 grading scale, instead they use 0-10) and I couldn't be happier!! Studying in this program has been an amazing experience. I feel as though I am SO much more prepared to be a Spanish teacher now and I also feel lucky that my learning experience has had "un toque internacional" (an international touch). As I have mentioned before, my classmates were from all over the world (North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia) and that allowed for some great exchanges of opinions and ideas about teaching Spanish as a foreign language.

One of the most important things that I have learned this year is that foreign language teachers in the United States do something that is almost unheard of in other countries: speak in the the native language of the students (in our case, English) in order to teach the 2nd language. I quickly learned how much that is looked down upon in other countries. At first I tried to defend my position, thinking that at the lower levels, it was necessary to speak in the native language of the students, because how else would they understand? However, now I have a completely different opinion. When I get back, it is my goal to have a classroom in which ONLY Spanish is spoken because my studies have proven to me that it is the best way for the students to learn. If you still don't believe me, listen to this:

I just saw on TV that Anthony Orza (a Spanish teacher in Rhinebeck, NY near Hudson Valley) was awarded "el Orden del Mérito Civil", one of the highest honors in Spain, for his achievements in teaching Spanish in NYS for the past 40 years. Orza claims that one of his best practices as a teacher is not allowing the students to speak a word of English once they enter the classroom. Hearing his success story inspires me and makes me even more excited to return to Rochester and start teaching again. Check out the link below to read more about the story:


Here are a few more pictures from my proud day :)

Two of my classmates and I getting ready to hand in our Final Master's Projects!!!

Can you tell I'm happy??? Ha ha!!
Enjoying the beautiful sunny day with two more classmates of mine after handing in our projects :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi- so I am unsure as to whether you will receive this comment since it is a year since you have completed the program, but I figured it would be worth a try. I was looking into doing a Masters program abroad, and was linked to your page and figured I would inquire further details. I am currently studying abroad in Granada, Spain for a semester since I am a junior undergrad studying Hispanic Studies and Secondary Education. After one semester abroad, I feel more confident to begin teaching but would greatly benefit from more time. I do have several questions about the program and would love to hear more about it if you happen to get this comment.
    1) I was told it was better to get my masters in the US, since I am currently studying in Boston, MA, but since I am studying a language I am torn between the two graduate programs. Have you had success finding a job upon completion of the program? Did you face any problems in the process?

    2) How did you go about the application process? What were the requisites of applying to the program?

    Thank you for any information that you can provide me with so I can make a further educated decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cori,

    I found your blog while doing some preliminary googling b/c I'm an ambassadorial scholar to Salamanca for this upcoming year! I was hoping to get your contact information and be able to pick your brain about your experience and get some helpful insights :)

    If you wouldn't mind sharing, my skype name is megan.luczak and my email is megan.luczak@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete