Friday, February 12, 2010

And this is why I love Salamanca :)


Seriously, one of the best things about the city of Salamanca is the student spirit... Being home to one of the best universities in Spain, so many people come from all over the world to study here. And because of that, so much of the "life" of Salamanca revolves around the students. It is one of the most lively cities I have ever known in all of my life- even in the cold of winter- they don't mess around here! Although it can be frustrating at times because obviously, there are times that I need to study, and listening to loud, singing groups of young people walking down below my apartment doesn't help me to concentrate, I definitely make the time to participate in the fun, too.
This weekend is officially known as Carnaval in Spain (and in many other parts of the world). From what I've seen so far, it is just like Halloween, in the respect that everyone puts on some sort of costume and goes out with their friends... the big difference is there is no candy, and no "scary" theme. Last night, (Thursday) was the Carnaval Universitaria (University Carnaval). Lucky enough, yesterday, our Friday morning class that we were supposed to have today was cancelled, so me and my friends decided to go out!! :) Finding an outfit was very easy for me because my roomate Anna and her sister dressed up as cowgirls for Halloween. She was nice enough to let me and my friend Rebecca (also American) from the Master's program use the costumes. We had a blast being American cow girls together-- to get prepared for our role, I even listened to some of my favorite country music while getting ready :) Gosh I miss it! Here are some of the pictures from last night- enjoy!:

Cristina (witch), her friend from Greece (lady bug), Elena (fortune teller), Rebecca and me

Sooooo many people dressed up like Avatar-- I loved their costumes!
This is what the streets looked like everywhere we went!
Full of students in their costumes!
Look! It's "Where's Waldo"! :)
And more and more people!
What a great night! I just love the spirit of this place!

Tomorrow, Brendan and some friends from my Master's program and I are doing a day trip to a nearby city called Ciudad Rodrigo. Apparently, it hosts the best Carnaval festivities of all of the region of Castilla y León. We're looking forward to it!! I'll be sure to take lots of pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment