Wednesday, February 3, 2010

La Peluquería

Who would have guessed that I consider getting my hair cut one of the hardest things about living in Spain, ha ha! I know it sounds silly, but even in the U.S. I am nervous about getting my haircut somewhere that I don't know the hair dresser... so just imagine me walking into a place in Spain and trying to relax! Almost impossible, ha ha! There lots of vocabulary terms that I am unfamiliar with! Plus, I need to say that 3 years ago in Valencia I went to a place to get my hair cut and the girl went really fast and didn't do a very good job. I definitely didn't want a repeat of that because I really want my hair to be longer for my wedding day. Therefore, all I wanted today was a trim, but I also wanted to maintain the style I had with a longer layer in the back and the hair angled in the front around my face. So anyways, for the sake of any other girls and women who are like me when it comes to getting your hair cut and who may be going to Spain or living here already here is a list of words/phrases I learned today at la peluquería (hair dresser shop) in case they can every come in handy for you:

Quiero sanear las puntas= I want to trim the ends of my hair
(literally means "healthy-fy" the ends)
la raya natural = the natural part (of your hair)
escalado= angled
capas= layers

She really confused me when she asked me:
¿Te corto un dedo?= Do you want me to cut one finger?
When she held out her finger, I was imagining her cutting my hair according to the length of her finger (which would have been about 2 1/2-3 inches!!) and that scared me, ha ha! But then she clarified and said ¿Te corto un dedo o dos? and then I understood that she meant the width of her fingers.

At the end of the hair cut, she offered me the choice of having her:
secar las puntas hacia arriba= dry the ends of my hair flipping out
or
secar el pelo metido por dentro= dry the ends flipping in
¿Quieres laca?= Do you want hairspray?

In the end she did a great job and I was really happy :) I will most definitely go back to her the next time around.


1 comment:

  1. ah! i'm having the same problem here in france! i really just need my ends trimmed and my layers shortened up to match - nothing too drastic - but i'm terrified to go! add on to that the ridiculously expensive prices (in euros) just to get a trim. maybe i can wait it out a little longer...

    courtney

    ReplyDelete