Saturday, April 3, 2010

Signs of Spring

Alright, alright, alright... I know that the weather in Salamanca has not been NEARLY as nice as it has been in New York the past few days (80 degrees and sunny!!!) In any case, on Thursday, April 1st, Brendan and I took full advantage of the sunny, 55 degree day we had to take a walk. And what we found was so beautiful-- signs of spring were everywhere! And I wanted to share the beauty with all of you...




Looks like fishing season has begun!

Great view of the Cathedral.
I couldn't believe how yellow these flowers were! So beautiful!
Budding leaves in el Huerto de Calisto y Melibea.
On our way back from our walk, we decided to hit up the popular streets of Salamanca to see how the festivities of Semana Santa (Holy Week) were going. Above you see the Plaza Mayor all decorated for Easter. Basically this whole week, all of Spain has been home to non-stop Holy Week processions. Brendan and I got a chance to see a few of them-- it is VERY interesting! I will be sure to post about it next!
After our walk, Brendan and I stopped at a local bakery to buy "torrija", a traditional treat of the Lent season. If you like french toast you will LOVE this! It is bread soaked in milk or white wine, then coated in beaten egg, fried in oil and then drizzled with honey and sugar. Yum!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment