Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving in Spain was a success! :) On Saturday afternoon, Brendan and I along with Rebecca from my master's program and her friend Alison hosted the traditional feast in my apartment. It was such a great experience because the other six people that we shared the dinner with had only ever seen or heard about Thanksgiving in American movies. First time "Thanksgiving'ers" were my roommate Esther (Spanish), my Rotary host counselor's daughter, Eva (Spanish), and friends from class: Maribel (Spanish), Cristina (Greek), Elena (Estonian), and Mohammad (Iranian). One of my favorite parts about the meal was when they all said that they felt like we were in a movie and they all added how they never thought they'd be a part of a Thanksgiving dinner. I could tell that they really all felt so happy to be sharing the day with us and I for sure felt thankful that they were all there. The dinner could not have happened without the help of everyone.
Getting ready to "give thanks" (in 3 different languages, by the way: Spanish, English and French)
Pictured from left to right: (Brendan, Rebecca, Alison, Elena and Cristina)
Pictured from left to right: (Mohammad, Maribel, Eva and Esther)
I think this is my favorite picture of the whole day because it captures the true essence of Thanksgiving- everyone talking and passing around the food :)
Brendan's plate, complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, vegetables, cheddar biscuits and cranberry sauce! Yum!
Dessert time: Estonian apple pie made by Elena (top), traditional pumpkin pie made by Rebecca & Alison (bottom right) and No-bake pumpkin pie made by me (bottom left)
Brendan and I happy to be together and to have some pumpkin pie! :)
Elena and Cristina enjoying the dessert
Rebecca and Alison- super happy to be eating pumpkin pie! Look at those grins!
Oh my gosh, we were so stuffed! What a good day!
My Rotary host counselor's daughter (Eva) and I
My roommate Esther and I
Pretty fall leaves (just starting to turn colors here)
My friend Maribel (from Murcia, Spain) and I

And to finish up, below is a little video that Brendan took of our Thanksgiving dinner (please take note that he is speaking Spanish!!) :) ha ha- Yay! I'm so proud of him!

2 comments:

  1. Hola Cori!

    Acabo de leer tu blog y sólo quería agradecerte otra vez por compartir este día conmigo. Ha sido un día muy muy bonito!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hola Cori!
    It's Rebecca, I love this post and that was such a great experience...I'm glad I was able to share it with you and everyone :)

    ReplyDelete